17 January 2015
Recipe: Peppermint Swirl
Recipe: Peppermint Swirl Protein Brownies
Makes 9 brownies, one square 7" pan
- 1 cup natural applesauce (222g)
- 1/3 cup almond butter (80g)
- 1 cup natural chocolate whey protein powder (104g)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder (11g) (or cocoa powder)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (36g)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (0.6ml)
- 1/4 cup vanilla or unflavored whey protein powder (23g)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (28g)
- 1/4 teaspoon alcohol-free peppermint extract (1.2ml)
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Line a 7" square (or similarly sized) pan with parchment paper (if not using silicone).
- Mix applesauce and almond butter well.
- Add chocolate whey, cacao powder, coconut sugar, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Pour batter into pan, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon peppermint batter onto brownie batter, and swirl with the back side of a knife.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes (just until firm).
- Let cool slightly.
- Cut into 9 brownies, and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.
Notes: A note about substitutions: Because each type of protein powder has a distinct flavor and texture when baked, I would not try substituting different types of protein powders in this recipe. If you'd like to use stevia in place of the coconut sugar, you'd save yourself a couple of grams of carbs per brownie. And remember not to over-bake these brownies!
Stats Per Brownie
Recipe created by Andréa's Protein Cakery: www.proteincakery.com